Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feta and Prosciutto Stuff Chicken Breasts & Mediterranean Pasta Salad

Pardon me as I write this, I am running on about 4 hours sleep. Why? It was my own doing, I just didn't want to sleep. I slept at 1.30am and woke up around 6.30 am. So, well that is more like 5 hours of sleep. I just like dedicating some hours, well as many as I can physically can before I fall asleep upright at the computer, to do things that I enjoy. That usually turns into pointless aimless wandering across the world wide web. Been meaning to start hobbies I use to enjoy when I was youthful and carefree. So far? An utter failure.

I wanted to cook something new and so I hit the net, googled up recipes. Scanned, scanned, scanned for something to cook. I take forever to decide on what to cook. I can sit there for an hour looking before I decide on anything or I decide on nothing. Therefore wasting an hour. 

Here are the two recipes that I decided on.

Firstly, Feta and Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts

The Ingredients


8 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
4 crushed cloves
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
4 chicken breasts
4 slices of feta cheese
4 slices of prosciutto, fried and drained

The method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.

In a bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.


With the chicken breasts, make a silt down one side of each one in order to form a pocket.


Stuff chicken breasts with feta cheese and prosciutto. I used more that 4 slices of prosciutto. I personally love the taste of prosciutto.


Secure the open sides of the stuffed chicken breasts with toothpicks. 


Place the chicken in a baking dish and pour the oil mixture over the chicken breasts.


Bake uncovered in the oven for about 35 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken. Bast the chicken occasionally with the oil mixture.

Here is the finished product.



I personally will not make this again. It was quick and easy but I was not too impressed with the taste. The chicken breasts I used were huge and I should have pounded them thinner. So the prosciutto and feta flavors were lost in all the chicken. If I did make it again, I would definitely use smaller chicken breasts.

Next, Mediterranean Pasta Salad

The ingredients


250 grams of pasta ( I used spirals)
4 Italian Sauages
2 green zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
100 grams store bought grilled capsicum, drained on a paper towel, thinly sliced
180 grams sundried tomatoes, drained in a paper towel, thickly sliced
145 grams kalamata olives
150grams of feta, crumbed
1/2 cups finely shredded basil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste.

The method

In a saucepan, cook the pasta.

In a pan, cook the sausages until cooked. Remove the sausages from the pan and then add the zucchini and stir until cooked. 

Feta, sundried tomatoes, capsicum, sausages, BASIL!!

Thinly cut the sausages. Place the pasta, sasuages, zucchini, capsicum, sun-dried tomates, olives, feta and basil. Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad and it is ready to serve.


Now this was a flavor explosion. I taste tested it and I thought wooh!!!! This is overwhelming my tastes buds. The olives, sundried tomatoes and capsicum are so flavorsome. It was truly a party in my mouth. Did the party get slightly carried away? I believe so. If you love all those flavors then this is the dish for you.

Here are my newly created babies together.
Dark and brooding




No comments:

Post a Comment