Thursday, January 20, 2011

Butter Chicken

I wanted to make an authentic butter chicken. I have made chicken curry many times before but not butter chicken. I love its taste when I visit Indian restaurants. It's tastes is unique from any other curry. How to exactly describe the taste? Really, no ingredient dominates. The ingredients seem to achieve a balance and who does not love butter chicken.

So I was on a quest to make an authentic butter chicken. I hit google, but not just any google. Instead of entering www.google.com.au  which is my usual search engine, I searched for the Indian web address for google and I found it to be www.google.co.in. I typed in butter chicken and quickly choose a recipe. Why not use the country of origin google to search for an authentic butter chicken.

Here is the step by step instructions to make butter chicken. I do not have the step by step photos
but only a picture of the end product. I put toooo much garlic in and it totally overpowered the curry. The recipe stated just the one garlic clove and I put at least 4 in. I will stick to the recipe next time. 

The ingredients
450 gm Boneless Breasts
2 tbsp Butter 
2 tsp Lemon Juice  
¼ cup Plain Yoghurt  
 ½ cup Cream 2 tbsp Peanut Oil (could not find in supermarket, it was late, I was tired, also I was unfamiliar) 
1 White Onion (chopped) 1 cup Tomato Puree   
1-¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper   
1 pinch Salt  
1 tsp Chili Powder   
1 tsp Cumin (Ground)   
1 Bay Leaf  
1 pinch Black Pepper   
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste 1 tbsp Cornstarch (could not find, unfamiliar supermarket, feelings of sleepiness)  
2 tsp Garam Masala    
Water as required  









Heat 1 tbsp peanut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. 

Saute white onion until it becomes soft and translucent. 

Put butter, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, chili powder, cumin and bay leaf into the saucepan. Stir it for about 1 minute. 

Add tomato puree to the mixture. Cook it for 2 minutes while stirring frequently. 

Add cream and yoghurt into the same pan and mix. 

Reduce heat to low and cook sauce for 10 minutes.

Now add salt, black pepper and cayenne into the mixture

Cut the Chicken to bite-size pieces and add to the sauce.

Mix cornstarch and water and add it to the curry. Cook chicken for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened. 

Perhaps if I had the peanut oil and cornstarch that would have change the flavor of my curry. Also with the deduction of some garlic. I will try this recipe again but this time around it was just another chicken curry.

Hark!!! I seem to have deleted the photos I took. They are not on the camera or on the computer. Sorry for a pictureless post. Just imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment