Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cake with Ice Cream

I decided it was time for a dessert recipe, something sweet for a change. I did attempt to bake a cake on another weekend but due to my impatience the cake was ruined when I tried to take it out of its cake tin. Maybe not ruined just deformed. It broke in half, part of it was on the plate and the other part still in the cake tin. That did not deter me, I picked out the bits that were still in the cake tin, layered the cake bits onto the part of the cake that was already out of the tin. I still covered it with butter icing, though as the cake was warm the icing melted as I smoothed it on. Moral of the story, if the cake is warm then leave it alone. Mind you I know that but it is the impatience in me that just wants the whole cooking bit to be over. Another moral, even if your cake has broken apart and the icing has melted, it still tastes good. It just doesn't look promising.

I saw an ice cream cake recipe on a blog I follow http://www.chocolatesuze.com/ and I thought, now that looks good. I changed the recipe slightly, just in regards to the flavoring. I decided to make a coffee mocha and dark chocolate ice cream cake and here is how. Coffee because I am trying to stop drinking coffee and I do get the occasional craving for it. Dark chocolate because I think it goes rather well with coffee.

The ingredients



1 packet of vanilla cake mix
3 eggs
1 cups of water
500 ml of coffee mocha ice cream
A handful of roughly chopped dark chocolate

The method

In a bowl, add the cake mixture, eggs and ice cream. Leave to stand to let the ice cream go all soft. I sped up this melting process by added the water. I processed the mixture with a electric beater for a number of minutes.


Chop up the dark chocolate into rough pieces. The ultimate aim with the dark chocolate was to have chocolate chunks through out the cake. That was wishful thinking. Chocolate will melt at high temperatures. I later discovered that the chocolate would create another effect. Now add the dark chocolate chunks to the cake mixture.

A dark chocolate waste land ohhhhhh



Pour the cake mixture into a cake tin and place it in the oven at 160 degree Celsius. Now I thought that this baking process would have taken around 50 minutes but it did not. After an hour of baking the cake was visibly still runny. At one and a half hours I was sure I had failed. I almost pulled it out of the oven at that point but I thought that just to hang in there for a tad bit longer. At 2 hours, it was finally ready and I let it cool over night. 

 The following morning I removed it from the cake tin, well sort of, the dark chocolate had melted and had dropped to the bottom to create a crunchy layer. I could not remove it from the bottom of the tin and the chocolate had stuck to it. So I took photos of the cake with the cake tin's bottom. So here is the finished product, my dark chocolate and coffee mocha ice cream cake, love the combination.





No comments:

Post a Comment