Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chicken Laska

Chicken laska is a absolute favorite with my daughter and I love it too. I love the spiciness that comes with the chillies, and adding more chili gives it a greater omf factor that is too my liking. The coconut milk soothes the tastes buds and the rice noodles, coriander, chicken all compliment each other.

Here is the recipe for the the chicken laska I made.

The ingredients



200 grams of dried noodles (I used rice noodles)
2 red chillies
4 garlic cloves
5cm of ginger chopped roughly
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Half a cup of coriander leaves
50 ml of sesame oil
3 chicken breasts
1 liter of coconut milk
3 cups of chicken stock
50 ml fish sauce
The juice of one lime

I also used a tablespoon of laksa paste, even though in this recipe, you actually make your own.

To serve

Bean sprout
Coriander leaves

The method

Soak the noodles in boiled water for about 5 minutes and then drain. I used rice noodles.

Rice noodles in boiled water


I pan fried the chicken breasts, without any seasoning until cooked.Then the chicken was cut thinly into strips and set aside.

As you can probably see that I did not actually use chicken breasts but rather thigh fillets. I had then in the freezer and preferred to cook with something I already had.



Place the chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds, fresh coriander and sesame oil into a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. I used the blender as I prefer the smoother texture that it gives compared to the the food processor.

The vortex of laska paste

Laska paste


Now with the laska paste that was made in the previous step, pan fry it for about one minute while stirring. It is at this point that I added about a spoonful of the store bought laksa paste.



Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Then allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the fish sauce and cut chicken and cook it for a further 5 minutes. Then add the lime juice.


Place the noodles in a bowl, pour the soup over and top it off with bean shoots and coriander.



The result, a content daughter who is a avid laksa lover, who also does not mind a touch of chili. 

No comments:

Post a Comment