Friday, May 13, 2011

Egg, chrizo and wholemeal bread pie

I really haven't felt like writing lately. Had an exam last week. Only the one but it was enough to stress me out. It has passed and suddenly I have some free time and I am not quiet sure what to do with it. Should I cook, no don't feel quite like making something new. Write on this blog. Not really, I rather enjoy looking at the creative efforts of others. What else? The creative efforts of yester years have disappeared and I tend to roam the internet in search of ghost stories and some photo history of Sydney. I waste plenty of time on this world wide web. It doomed my creativity. Alas, I return to this blog and try to pick up some of what remains of my literary merit and I aim to say I baked a pie and show you the efforts of my labor.


The pie featured in the New Idea magazine and I thought it looked nice. Though it demanded 12 eggs and so I split the recipe in half. Luckily the halving of the ingredients was done otherwise it would have overflowed my spring form cake pan. Thus it would have demanded a clean up in the oven. So, here is to the birth of the Egg, chrizo and wholemeal bread pie.

The ingredients
6 eggs lightly beaten
150 ml thicken cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 loaf of wholemeal bread (crust removed and cut into 2cm pieces)
1 chorizo, cut up
1 tablespoon of oil
1 onion thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
1/2 cup grated vintage cheddar

The Method

Grease and line a 24 cm round cake pan with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Combine eggs and cream in a bowl. Add salt and pepper and then press the bread into the mixture, until all the bread is completely covered.

Pan fry the chorizo for about 3 minutes. The remove from the pan and allow to cool.

Heat oil in the pan now. Cook the onion until soft. Add the zucchini, garlic and thyme. Stir for about 5 minutes until the zucchini is soft. The remove from the stove and allow to cool.

Add the chorizo, zucchini mixture, with half of the cheese to the bread mixture. Mix to combine. Pour the mixture into the cake pan and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. 

Place into the oven and cook it until the egg is cooked and a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.

Serve it with something green and yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment