Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Cappuccino Biscotti

I have really never tried biscotti before, well not that I can really remember having this Italian treat. So I thought why not make it, then I would have tried it and would know something about this twice baked biscuit. So I launched the computer, loaded Google and with great fussiness I selected a recipe. It combined two of my favorite flavors, coffee and cinnamon and it was to be dipped in chocolate. Ohhhhh yumminess. It could then be eaten with a cup of coffee. Double yumminess. I actually dipped only the one slice in chocolate and the others I left without. Why, I just did not really feel like melting chocolate. A moment of laziness, though it does not pay to be lazy when cooking. Though had a pretty full weekend and it was Sunday and I went out shopping for half of the day and only had the afternoon left. The afternoon then would consist of getting the gang ready for Monday, so there was not much time for me to sit down and do nothing. Hence cranky lady. Saturday is a day for things you have to do and then Sunday is a day to get ready for Monday. Monday results in Mondayitis. Okay, that is enough of my ranting. 

Okay, it is time for the recipe and the lovely shots of my progress. My finished product will be displayed and I tried to get a tad be creative with its presentation. Perhaps I should quit will I am ahead, well maybe behind. Anyway here it is.

The ingredients


1 cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts
1 3/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon of ground cinammon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of margarine
2 large egss
Chocolate coating for dipping

The method

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, coffee, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the margarine and combine the margarine with your fingers until it forms coarse crumbs.  Stir in the nuts and eggs.


On an floured surface, allow the mixture to form a log. 


Place it on the baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.


Remove it from the oven and cool for 20 minutes. Then with a serrate knife the log into 3/4 inch thick slices. Return the biscotti to the oven and baked for 15 minutes.


 
Remove it from the oven and allow the biscotti to cool. In a double boiler melt the chocolate and when smooth dip one side of the biscotti into the chocolate. Refrigerate the biscotti until the chocolate is set. This is the step that I missed but they were divine regardless. 



No comments:

Post a Comment